Transfer Credit

Transfer credit can be awarded for coursework completed at an accredited college or university, as listed below. Once admitted, UF will evaluate your transfer credits and you’ll have the opportunity to review this information with your academic advisor.


Credit is awarded for college-level coursework completed at a U.S. institution of higher education accredited by one of the following institutional accreditors or its equivalent from a foreign institution:

  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC)
  • New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE)
  • Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
  • Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
  • WASC Senior College and University Commission

Foreign institutions must be recognized by the Ministry of Education in that country. Applicants with international coursework should review our international webpage to understand the required information we will need to evaluate international transfer coursework.

UF Course Equivalents: Transfer courses must be similar in nature and content to courses in the UF undergraduate curriculum to be considered as UF course equivalents.

Elective Credit: Academic courses that do not have UF course equivalents can transfer as elective credits within the appropriate academic department. Some degree requirements can be substituted with similar elective credit, but it is the prerogative of the UF colleges to determine how transfer credit is applied to UF degree requirements.

Nontransferable Courses: Courses that are remedial, technical, vocational, or doctrinal in nature are not transferable to the University of Florida.

Transferology Logo

Using Transferology to Check Credits

Transferology allows prospective and current students to enter information about the courses they’ve taken (or plan to take) to determine if they will transfer to the University of Florida. Simply create a free account with Transferology to get started! Once admitted to UF Online, your academic advisor will help you understand how your transfer credits satisfy your specific degree requirements.

Will My Credits Transfer?
Prospective UF Students
  1. Once logged in, select the “Will my Courses Transfer?” tab to the right.
  2. Enter the school name where you have taken or plan to take course(s).
  3. Enter the term and year of when the course was taken or will be taken.
  4. Enter the course prefix and select the course you have taken or plan to take.
  5. After you have entered all of your courses, click the “Search for Matches” button.
  6. If any “Maybe” courses appear, click “Contact the school for more information” to request a course evaluation or more information about the school. Once your request is received, the course equivalency will be reviewed by the appropriate academic department at UF. You will be notified of the outcome when it becomes available.
Current UF Students
  1. Once logged in, click the “Find a Replacement Course” button.
  2. Enter University of Florida and the term in which you wish to take the course(s).
  3. Enter the course prefix and select the desired course(s).
  4. Click “Search for Matches” button.

Credit By Exam Guidelines

There are several credit-by-examination programs that earn credit toward a UF degree.

  • You must submit official test scores to receive credit.
  • A maximum of 45 semester hours may be granted by combining all types of test credit.
  • Students beginning in the fall or spring term must have taken the exams and have their scores reported to the university before enrolling or, at the latest, before the end of the first term of enrollment at UF.
  • Students who begin in the summer must have taken the exam(s) and had the scores reported before the end of their first fall term.
  • If a student submits appropriate scores, UF will grant credit and post the UF course equivalencies to a student’s transcript for the UF course(s) that most closely match the content of the exam as determined by the state of Florida. The transcript will reflect the course(s) with grades of P (for Pass). “P” grades will not be calculated into a student’s GPA.
  • Equivalent courses earned by examination generally fulfill the same requirements that the UF course fulfills.

Advanced International Certificate of Education (AICE)

Students completing approved AICE examinations with scores of A-E will earn UF credit.

Scores of E or higher on AICE French Language, German, Latin Language, and Spanish Language examinations fulfill the foreign language proficiency requirement for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the College of Journalism and Communications, and B.A. programs in the College of the Arts.

Advanced Placement (AP)

Students completing approved AP examinations with scores of three or higher will earn UF credit.

Scores of three or higher on AP Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Russian, and Spanish language examinations fulfill the foreign language proficiency requirement for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the College of Journalism and Communications, and B.A. programs in the College of the Arts.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

CLEP examinations cover material that is taught in introductory-level courses at many colleges and universities. CLEP can provide information on the examinations offered.

Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT)

As part of the Army Training and Doctrine Command, the Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center (DLIFLC) provides resident instruction at the Presidio of Monterey in two dozen languages.

DSST (formerly DANTES Subject Standardized Tests)

DSST (formerly DANTES Subject Standardized Tests) are credit-by-examination tests originated by the United States Department of Defense’s Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) program.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Students receiving IB examination scores of 4 or higher on both higher-level and standard-level examinations may receive UF credit.

Scores of 4 or higher on IB French B, German B, Italian B, Latin, and Spanish B examinations fulfill the foreign language proficiency requirement for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the College of Journalism and Communications, and B.A. programs in the College of the Arts.

Excelsior College Examinations (UExcel)

UExcel Examinations; Excelsior College Examinations (formerly known as Regents College Exams or the Proficiency Examination Program), are developed by Excelsior College using national committees of faculty consultants and national studies to assess how well the tests measure the performance of students in actual college courses.

Learn more about credit by examination here.

Award of Incoming Credits

  • Credit will be awarded only once for the same course, whether from credit by examination, dual enrollment, transfer credit, or UF course credit.
  • UF course credit takes precedence over all other forms of credit for the same course.
  • Credit awarded for acceptable dual enrollment or transfer courses takes precedence over credit by examination.
  • If duplicate credit exists among AICE, AP, CLEP, or IB, the exam yielding the most credit will be awarded.

Other Important Information

  • Transfer credit does not expire.
  • Courses with “D” grades are transferable; however, a higher grade may be needed to satisfy some UF Degree requirements.
  • Students should expect to receive 60 transfer credits with an AA degree from a Florida public community/state college or from a Florida public state university.
  • The maximum number of transfer credit from a two-year college is 60 credits.
  • Students must complete upper division courses (course numbers 3000-4000) for major requirements at UF, unless the UF college approves the student to take these courses at another accredited baccalaureate degree-granting institution.
  • Students are required to submit final official transcripts from all institutions attended before or during their enrollment at UF. Failure to declare attendance at another institution can invalidate admission to UF and any credits or degrees earned.
  • For information regarding credit for military experience and coursework, please visit the UF Online Military page.