Applicant FAQs

How do I contact the UF Online Admission’s office if I have questions about my application?

General information is discussed throughout our website. If you have submitted an application and have additional questions, reach out to the UF Online OneStop by phone at 352-294-3290 or online.

Does UF Online have an application fee, and if so, how much is the application fee?

Each application requires a non-refundable $30 application fee. The payment must be made online during the application submission process.

Please be aware that each application must have an individual fee, which is valid for one decision for UF Online. If you would like to be considered for a second program then you will need to reapply for the next term and pay another application fee.

I’m having trouble accessing the Gator Link Username and my UFID. Could you help me access the website so I can see what I still need to send?

Your application summary is the best place to obtain your UFID number, which you need in order to log in and check your status. To access your application summary you will have to have your temporary username and password from when you created your application. Once you have retrieved your UFID number, you will be able visit the Check Your Status page. If you are missing this information, please contact the UF Online OneStop by calling 352-294-3290.

I have submitted my application but would like to change my major, how would I do that?

If you would like to change your major, please contact the UF Online OneStop at 352-294-3290 or online.

Can I change the term I applied for?

You can change your term depending on where you are in the application process, and you may change your term for up to a year after you submit your application. If you have already been considered for an admission’s decision, then you will either need to reapply for a different term or submit a deferral form if you have been admitted.

Please be aware that not every UF Online major is offered every term. For instance, Nursing is only offered during the Spring term.

What do I need to send you to be considered for an admission’s decision?

Once you have submitted your application, we will review it within 48 hours. If we need any additional information from you, you will be notified by a status update at and via email. Once we have a complete academic history (high school transcripts, college transcripts, and test scores) as well as all other information that we have requested, we will review you for a decision.

How will I know when I get an admission’s decision?

You can check your application status at We will also send you an email notification once the admissions committee has reviewed your file and the decision is available online.

Where do I send my transcripts?

We strongly recommend sending your official transcripts and test scores electronically as this is the fastest delivery method. We accept electronic transcripts from Parchment, National Student Clearinghouse, Credential Solutions, and eScrip-Safe. The University of Florida’s federal school code is 001535 and the College Board code is ATP_5812. When ordering your official documents, be sure to save any order confirmations for future reference.

If you cannot send electronic transcripts or test scores, you’ll want to send or forward your official documents in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution to the University of Florida’s Office of Admissions at:

Office of Admissions
201 Criser Hall – PO BOX 114000
Gainesville, FL 32611-4000

All academic credentials become property of the university. They will not be returned to you or forwarded to a third party. For diplomas and academic credentials that are only issued once, send an attested or certified copy of the original.

I reviewed my application, and one of the items missing is “All Time Accounted For”. What is the best way to send this information to the University?

To update your activities and locations, log into your application status page and click on the “Activity/Location” form located under the “Forms” section. When completing your activities and locations form, note that we are looking for a short summary (1-3 sentences) indicating your activities/locations and the name of your employer (if you were working) during the stated time period. If you were not working, let us know what activity you were involved in during that time, such as attending school, raising a family, traveling, and/or unemployed. A resume will suffice if the allotted times are covered.

I currently have courses in progress or plan on taking additional courses now that I have submitted my application. How do I update my application to reflect this information?

If you have not already indicated these courses before you submitted your application, you will want to contact the UF Online Onestop indicating which courses (including the course codes) that you are now taking, as well as the institution where you are taking the courses. If applicable, please send us a transcript that lists these courses as “in progress.”

Do I need to send you my high school transcript?

We will need your high school transcript if you are applying with less than 60 transferable college credits (or 90 quarter hours). These credits include test scores from AP, IB, AICE, and CLEP. If you have 60 transferable credits (or 90 quarter hours) then we will not need your high school transcript to review you for a decision. We may still need your high school transcript to resolve your foreign language condition if you have not, as of yet, completed two semesters of foreign language in college.

If you have a bachelor’s degree at an accredited school, we will not need your high school transcript.

Where can I complete the prerequisite courses?

Prerequisite courses must be completed at an accredited institution from which the University of Florida awards transfer credit. For more information, please visit the University of Florida Catalog.

Courses from Florida public community colleges and State University System schools generally adhere to the Statewide Course Numbering System. If the prefix (first three letters) and the last three digits of the course number are the same, then the course is considered equivalent.

Will my credits transfer to UF?

Credit is awarded for college-level coursework completed at a U.S. institution of higher education accredited by one of the following institutional accreditors or its equivalent from a foreign institution:

  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC)
  • New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE)
  • Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
  • Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
  • WASC Senior College and University Commission

Foreign institutions must be recognized by the Ministry of Education in that country. Courses must be similar in nature and content to courses in our undergraduate curriculum to be transferred. Courses that are remedial, technical, vocational or doctrinal in nature are not transferable to an undergraduate degree. It is the prerogative of the student’s UF college to determine how transfer credits apply to a degree. Students should expect to receive 60 transfer credits with an AA degree from a Florida public community/state college.

Review the University of Florida’s full transfer credit policy here.

When will I know what credit will transfer?

During the formal application process, your transcripts will be reviewed to determine which courses can transfer to the University of Florida. After admission to the university, you will review your transfer evaluation with your academic advisor to determine how transfer coursework can satisfy specific requirements in your degree plan.