The University of Florida expects students entering an online program to acquire computer hardware and software appropriate to their degree program.
Coursework will require ongoing use of a computer and a broadband connection to the Internet. As well, academic advising and registration, official university correspondence, and other services can all be handled online via a computer. While the university offers limited access to computer software through its virtual computer lab and software licensing office, most students will be expected to purchase or lease a computer. Cost of meeting this requirement should be included in your financial aid considerations.
- Processor: Current generation Intel Core Series (i3, i5, i7, i9) or AMD Ryzen equivalent
- Memory: 8GB of RAM or more
- Storage: 256 Gb hard drive or larger
- Webcam, microphone, and speakers
- WiFi or Network (Ethernet) Adapter Card for Broadband -- 100/1000Mbps
- Broadband internet connection
- Operating System: Windows 10* or Mac OS X
*Windows 10 Home basic is not recommended.
If you want to buy a computer with Windows, confirm that your college and degree program will support the operating system. Be sure to buy your computer with Windows 10 or the potential to upgrade to Windows 10.