Why Choose an Online Microbiology & Cell Science Degree?
EXPLORE YOUR PASSION FOR LIFE ON THE MICROSCOPIC AND MOLECULAR LEVEL. GAIN THE KNOWLEDGE AND TOOLS TO IMPACT THE WORLD ON A MAJOR LEVEL BY LEARNING SKILLS THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO IMPROVE HEALTH, FOOD SAFETY AND PRODUCTION, AND THE ENVIRONMENT.
Professional Cellist and UF Alumni
- Agricultural and Life Sciences
- Degree Type
- Bachelor of Science
- Diploma Title
- Bachelor of Science With a major in Microbiology and Cell Science
- Transcript Title
- Bachelor of Science Major Microbiology and Cell Science
Impact the world on a major level by improving health, food safety and production, and the environment. Microbiologists study a variety of microorganisms to understand their structure and how they live, grow, and interact with each other and their environments. Professionals in the field use advanced lab and computational skills to gain a deep understanding of microbial, molecular and cellular biology.
The Microbiology and Cell Science Department in the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences at the University of Florida is recognized as one of the leading and largest microbiology departments in the country. Through UF Online, the Bachelor of Science in Microbiology and Cell Science online curriculum comes to life with diverse opportunities to learn more about topics such as molecular genetics, cell biology, immunology, parasitology, virology, pathogenesis and bioinformatics. The program is designed to provide you with a strong foundation for a variety of graduate studies and professional careers.
An online Bachelor of Science in Microbiology can unlock your potential to work with renowned faculty and contribute to groundbreaking research, all while studying topics with great social significance. A B.S. in Microbiology and Cell Science is the foundation for your admission into graduate programs and your future in medical, dental, or veterinary school. The program can also prepare students for relevant careers in pharmaceutical companies, research organizations, universities, federal and state organizations, and agricultural institutions.
In addition to a solid foundation in microbiology and molecular biology, students in the online program will learn career-readiness skills and are eligible to apply for departmental scholarships and faculty-mentored summer research experiences.
- Professional degrees are required for career advancement in medicine, veterinary sciences and independent research.
- Students interested in gaining admission to professional school programs are encouraged to complete Biology and Chemistry lab work in person, although online labs may be available. Based on students’ career goals, they may be advised to complete Biology and Chemistry labs in-person through transient enrollment at a local state or community college.
- Organic Chemistry and laboratory (CHM 2210, 2211 and 2211L) are required for the major and are not offered through UF Online. It is suggested that students either complete these courses prior to admission or plan to take them at an approved institution prior to graduation.
- Please contact professional schools to which you plan to apply to inquire about their criteria for admissions.